Liam Bradley ’23 Finds Inspiration in Service to Country and Community

Service to country and community is in Liam Bradley’s DNA. So is St. John’s. The two strands intertwine as he organizes programs and oversees initiatives for one of the Law School’s newest student groups: the Veteran, First Responder, and Front-Line Worker’s Society (VFF).

“My passion for supporting St. John’s Law students and alumni through VFF stems from a unique set of circumstances,” says Bradley. “First, I’m medically retired from the U.S. Army while many of my West Point classmates are still serving our country. Second, I have strong family ties to this great institution. My uncle, Patrick Bradley ‘78C, ’89L, was a policeman who earned his St. John’s law degree at night. My grandmother, Barbara Salvaggio, was secretary to the University’s provost, and my aunt, Anna Donnelly, still works on campus. But I think what motivates me the most is a childhood memory of the ceremony St. John’s held for my father when he returned home after serving in Iraq.”

Bradley, who is a member of the St. John’s Law Review, also draws inspiration from generous alumni and friends who fund scholarships that support him and other deserving students. “I’ve been extremely fortunate to receive multiple scholarships,” he says. “They relieve financial burdens, allow me to focus on academics, and open a path for me to pursue major life milestones, like purchasing my first home and planning an April wedding with my fiancé, Jessica.”

Last year, after launching VFF, Bradley and classmates Owen Crowley ’23 and Brian Tully ’23 organized the group’s inaugural event, a fundraiser to aid Ukrainian refugees. “We co-hosted the event with the Law School Alumni Association’s Armed Forces Chapter and it was a big success,” Bradley shares. “We came together at DLA Piper’s Manhattan offices with the help of Richard F. Hans ’93, a military veteran who is a partner at the firm.” Seeing VFF members rally around a worthy cause that night was a full-circle moment for Bradley. “I was in that room because alumni like Mr. Hans and VFF’s faculty adviser, Professor Andrew J. Simons ’65, chose to give back to St. John’s Law as scholarship donors,” he says. “Not many schools have such a tight-knit community. It’s truly special.”

As he completes his 3L year, Bradley looks forward to serving that special community for years to come. “The tremendous support the Law School has given me makes me want to give back,” he says. “I know I’ll find ways to do that however and whenever I can. Whether it’s volunteering, mentoring, or donating, I want to be there for future students the way St. John’s has been there for me and my family. It’s part of who I am. It’s in my DNA.”